Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Change is Enough to Gag a Maggot

Back in my salad days, I dated a young man who was an officer of a small Long Island bank. We often went to cocktail parties at the Garden City Hotel given by the Young Republicans - a group of affluent college men and young executives, in the main, who probably were destined for great things.

The parties and the pursuant conversations were convivial and ecumenical in nature. It was a happy and carefree time of my life since I was not then possessed of a point of view that seemed very different from that of my companions.


Now, recognizing that I have become a flaming liberal, I wonder that I ever had a sense of camaraderie with the people with whom we frequently dined and shared pleasant evenings.


This morning, thanks to David Brooks, I have discovered why I have become so hostile to Conservatives over the past few decades. It has finally dawned on me that I have not become anything different from what I was - an essentially benignly liberal thinker attracted to intellectual pursuits - and happy to live and let live.


What has changed is the Republican party. Its members are not normal. 


Of course! And here I thought I had become "difficult." 


http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/05/opinion/05brooks.html

-30- 

No comments:

Post a Comment